Application for EU, equivalents, non-EU citizens legally residing in Italy, Italians with foreign qualifications
The following procedures may have simultaneous deadlines, therefore we invite you to read the entire page.
You can check the list of programs offered on [email protected].
In order to be admitted to an undergraduate degree program ("Laurea"), 5-6-year postgraduate degree program ("Laurea magistrale a ciclo unico") or a 2-year postgraduate degree program ("laurea magistrale"), any foreign study qualification must be recognized as suitable as provided for by article 6 of decree 270/2004 and comparable to the required Italian qualification as established by Law 148/2002 (Italian ratification and implementation of the Lisbon Convention).
Recognition of foreign study qualifications for admission to higher education and furthering university studies is exclusive competence of Universities and Higher Education Institutions as established by art.2 of law 148/2002.
The university evaluates foreign qualifications in line with the principles of the Lisbon Recognition Convention, with its implementation in the Italian educational system and with the practices shared at an international level by the centres belonging to the ENIC and NARIC networks, to verify comparability with Italian qualifications and eligibility for admission in higher education programs.
Foreign study qualifications can be considered for admission purposes only if recognized by the foreign educational system they belong to and issued by institutions authorized to issue them. Therefore, one of the elements we take into account when assessing a foreign study qualification is the accreditation/recognition status of the institution that issued the final qualification (awarding institution) by the competent authority in the educational system of reference , as well as the accreditation/recognition status of the institution where the studies actually took place or which organized them (teaching institution). Accreditation of the attended study program is also taken into account.
Furthermore, other elements such as the authenticity of the documentation, the duration of the study program, the level, the nature of the program and the rights conferred by the obtained qualification are also taken into consideration during the evaluation process. A substantial difference with the Italian educational system could cause a refusal of the application, thus precluding access to higher education in Italy or continuation to the - upper academic cycle even if you have taken and passed any admission test.
All students holding a foreign qualification are considered international students, even if they are Italian citizens.
Foreign qualifications are not only qualifications obtained abroad but all qualifications which follow a foreign education system. This includes titles issued by pontifical institutions, international or european schools based in Italy, International Baccalaureate and other qualifications.
The application procedure for Italian citizens holding a foreign qualification is the same followed by Europeans and non-EU students legally residing in Italy.
Before applying we invite you to check whether your qualification is listed in our list of exemptions. If you are not sure whether you hold an Italian or a foreign qualification please contact the International Students Office.
If you are an EU/equivalent/non-eu citizen legally residing in Italy, you hold a non-Italian study qualification and you wish to apply for an undergraduate, postgraduate or 5 - 6-year -year postgraduate degree programs for the academic year 2023-2024, follow the steps below.
1st application call:
- 9th January 2023 - 16th April 2023 for postgraduate degree programs
2nd application call:
- 1st May 2023 - 25th June 2023 for undergraduate degree programs and 5year or 6-year postgraduate degree programs
Late application call:
- 23rd August 2023 - 6th September 2023 for undergraduate degree programs, 5year or 6-year postgraduate degree programs and postgraduate degree programs without a restricted number of places (no entrance test).
Please note that to apply for this call, candidates must provide the declaration of value (or statement of comparability issued by CIMEA) of their foreign qualification.
The online application on [email protected] is subject to the payment of a fee of 50€.
The fee cannot be refunded to candidates who wrongly submit their application, but it will be reimbursed to students who successfully enroll in UniTo.
You will receive a feedback to your online application within 3 months from submission to the same e-mail address you used to register on the platform.
Candidates meeting specific conditions are exempt from the application procedure for the a.y. 2023-2024. Please check in the list of exemptions if you do not need to submit the application via [email protected].
- ID card (for Italian and EU applicants) or passport (for non EU applicants)
- a valid residence permit for Italy (only for non EU applicants residing in Italy)
- study documents.
All documents uploaded in your online application are accepted in Italian, English, French or Spanish. If your documents are not issued in one of these languages, you also have to attach a certified translation in either Italian, English, French or Spanish.
In order to enrol, the International students office will need to verify the authenticity of your study documents. On [email protected] you will find more information on the accepted verification systems, along with a few examples of verification methods specific to some Countries and school/academic systems. In order to speed up the following enrolment procedure, we suggest you provide our office with proof of authenticity of your study documentation during the application phase (if already available).
Candidates applying for the undergraduate program in Business and Management must also attach the Statement of comparability issued by CIMEA or the declaration of value in their online application. Candidates lacking one of these documents will be rejected.
In addition, for postgraduate degree programs only:
- motivation letter in English or Italian
- curriculum vitae
- additional documents required by some specific postgraduate degree programs (please check on [email protected], under the section Entry qualification, Language requirements and Other requirements of the degree program description).
If you have not yet completed your studies and won’t be in possession of the final qualification within the application deadlines, you will be requested to upload:
- official certificate attesting your enrollment in the last year of studies
- official score report of the academic year/semesters so far attended.
Applications sent must be complete of all documentation required. Incomplete applications will be rejected and it will not be possible to apply again for the academic year 2023-2024.
The University reserves the right to request at its sole discretion any additional document that may be necessary for evaluating your educational background.
Check on the list of degree programs or on the [email protected] platform if your program has a restricted number of places (entrance test) or not.
- If you want to apply for undergraduate, postgraduate or 5 - 6-year postgraduate degree programs with a restricted number of places (entrance test) at a national or regional level, you will have to sit the admission test according to the modalities specified on the admission notice for each degree program published on the Albo di Ateneo. Check the admission requirements on the website of each degree program.
- If you want to apply for undergraduate or 5 - 6-year postgraduate degree programs without a restricted number of places (no entrance test) you will have to sit the TARM (Assessment of Minimum Requirements) which will be held through the TOLC test offered by CISIA. Additional information will be published in the upcoming months.
- If you want to apply for postgraduate degree programs without a restricted number of places, your personal preparation will be verified through a test or an interview by the admission commission during your application procedure on [email protected].
Additional information will be provided in the upcoming months.
Once you have completed the above mentioned steps, you can proceed with the final enrollment in UniTo. The enrollment procedure will open at the beginning of September 2023 on this website.