- Extra-EU citizens, planning to stay in Italy up to 90 days are not required to apply for the residence permit.
- Extra-EU citizens planning to stay in Italy more than 90 days have to apply for the residence permit for study purposes.
The University of Turin provides foreign students or workers spending a period at the University of Turin with support to obtain visa and the residence permit.
Students/professors requiring the renewal of the residence permit or the “conversion” (e.g. convert the residence permit for study reasons into a residence permit for working reasons), are required to contact the support service about 60 days before it expires.
For information it is recommended to contact the Residence permit office by e-mail.
Extra-EU citizens must submit the residence permit application in an authorised post office within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.
The Post Office provides a kit including the application form and instructions on how to fill it in.
After receiving the filled application form and the required documents, the Post Office provides a receipt applicants must keep in their passport until they receive the electronic residence permit. We recommend applicants to take care of this document in order to avoid its loss or theft.
Residence permit applicants will be invited to the Immigration Office of “Questura” - the Post Office will inform applicants about day and time – in order to be fingerprinted and to eventually revise the application.
After 6-8 weeks it is possible to collect the residence permit at the Immigration Office (applicants will be informed by a SMS).
By using the user ID and the password (without the hyphen “_ ”) on the postal receipt, applicants can check the status of the application on Portale Immigrazione website (go to: “Area riservata stranieri”, then fill in your password and user ID).
- a copy of the passport page containing personal data, a copy of the student Visa, and a possible copy of any other passport pages containing entry and exit visa stamps;
- a copy of the tax code (Codice Fiscale) you can request at one of the offices of Agenzia delle Entrate;
- a copy of the University of Turin acceptance letter (sealed/stamped by the Italian Consulate when entry visa was issued);
- a copy of the self-certification of arrival at the University of Turin you printed at the Infopoint, stating the beginning of your mobility period;
- a copy of the document certifying adequate financial resources for the validity period of the residence permit (e.g. Scholarship);
- a 16 Euros duty stamp, "marca da bollo," (it can be purchased at any tobacco shop);
- receipt of payment of 70,46 Euros you paid at the Post Office for the Electronic Permit of Stay (the payment form is included in the Post Office Kit);
- the Post Office Application Kit duly completed;
- a copy of the receipt of the Health Insurance:
a) if you purchase a private insurance in your country, please remember that, in order to be valid in Italy for the residence permit, it needs to be valid in the Schengen Area (*), it has to be registered in the holder’s name (in western characters), state the exact coverage period and the type of coverage for the medical expenses, it must have a 30,000 Euros ceiling (expressed/converted in Euros), it has to be written in Italian (or in English, French, Spanish). The whole document must be sealed/stamped by the Italian Consulate in your country;
b) if you do not have an insurance, upon your arrival in Italy, you will need to purchase INA Assitalia insurance. You can ask for the payment form at any Post Office and fill in the form with the following data:
INA Assitalia - Bank account C/C n. 712 70 003
Addressed to Ag. Gen. Roma Conto 20, Via del Tritone 181, 00187 Roma
Reason for payment ("causale"): Polizza Sanitaria studente straniero 6 mesi/12 mesi
Amount due ("importo"): 6 months = 49,00 Euro/12 months = 98,00 Euro.
After paying applicants are required to call INA- Assitalia (telephone number: +39 06.361.1676 or +39 06.3210214) in order to receive a copy of the health insurance contract.