Extra-EU citizens, planning to stay in Italy for more than 90 days, have to apply for the residence permit for study purposes. On the other hand, for a stay up to 90 days it is not necessary to apply for the residence permit.
The University of Turin provides foreign students or workers spending a period at the University of Turin with support to obtain visa and the residence permit.
In case of the residence permit renewal or for its “conversion” (e.g. convert your residence permit for study reasons into a residence permit for work reasons), we advise you to contact the support service about 60 days before it expires.
For information it is recommended to contact before the Residence permit office by e-mail.
Extra-EU citizens have to submit the residence permit application at any authorised post office within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.
The Post Office provides a kit including the application form and instructions on how to fill it in.
If the application is prepared at the office in via Verdi 10 it is not necessary the postal kit.
- a copy of the passport page containing your personal data, a copy of the student Visa, and a possible copy of any other passport pages containing entry and exit visa stamps;
- a copy of the tax code (Codice Fiscale) you can request at one of the offices of Agenzia delle Entrate;
- a copy of the University of Turin acceptance letter (sealed/stamped by the Italian Consulate when entry visa was issued);
- a copy of the self-certification of arrival at the University of Turin you printed at Infopoint, stating the beginning of your mobility period;
- a copy of the document certifying adequate financial resources for the validity period of the residence permit (e.g. Scholarship);
- a duty stamp, "marca da bollo," worths 16 Euros (it can be purchased at any tobacco shop);
- receipt of payment of 70,46 Euros you paid at the Post Office for the Electronic Permit of Stay (the payment form is included in the Post Office Kit);
- the Post Office Application Kit duly completed;
- a copy of the receipt of the Health Insurance:
a) if you take out a private insurance in your country, please remember that, in order to be valid in Italy for the residence permit, it needs to be valid in the Schengen Area (*), it has to be taken out in the holder’s name (in western characters), state the exact coverage period and the type of coverage for the medical expenses, must have a 30.000,00 Euros ceiling (expressed/converted in Euros), it has to be written in Italian (or in English, French, Spanish). The whole document must be sealed/stamped by the Italian Consulate in your country;
b) if you are not insured, upon your arrival in Italy, you will need to purchase INA Assitalia insurance. You can ask for the payment form at any Post Office and fill in the form with the following data:
INA Assitalia - Bank account C/C n. 712 70 003
Addressed to Ag. Gen. Roma Conto 20, Via del Tritone 181, 00187 Roma
Reason for payment ("causale"): Polizza Sanitaria studente straniero 6 mesi/12 mesi
Amount due ("importo"): 6 months = 49,00 Euro/12 months = 98,00 Euro.
After paying you can send a photocopy of the payment receipt to INA Assitalia (fax number: +39 06.361.3626) together with a copy of the passport page containing your personal data and specifying your fax number in order to receive a copy of the health insurance contract. Call INA- Assitalia (telephone number: +39 06.361.1676 or +39 06.3210214) to check the receipt of your fax.
The Post Office will provide you with a receipt you must bring with you together with your passport until you receive your electronic residence permit.
Take care of this document in order to avoid its loss or theft.
The post office will give you an appointment (day and time) to be fingerprinted at the Questura Immigration Office and to make a possible revision of your application. On this appointment you may be requested to bring some documents that could be missing in your application.
Usually about 6-8 weeks after the fingerprints appointment it is possible to collect the residence permit at the Immigration Office (you will receive an sms to the number you indicated when you completed the application form with day and time).
By using the USER ID and the PASSWORD (without the hyphen “_ ”) on your postal receipt, you will be able to check the status of your application on the Portale Immigrazione website ( go to: “Area riservata stranieri”, then fill in your password and user ID).
(*) European Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary; European Free Trade Association Countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.