The IdeM network
IdeM (Identity Management for federated access) was the name of the GARR pilot project to create a federated authentication and authorization infrastructure. The Project ended on March 31, 2009. IdeM is now the name of the Italian Federation of Authentication Federation and Organisation within the GARR Community.
Some IdeM organizations have decided to federate their captive portals to allow members of an organization who are temporarily located elsewhere to use the wireless local network (WLAN) with the same credentials (username and password) that they would use in their own institution, without any further formalities.
For more information on the IdeM network, consult the IdeM page:
- Guests of the University of Turin who belong to institutions adhering to IdeM
- UniTO users with valid SCU credentials (the same ones used to access MyUniTO and e-mail).
The University of Turin’s membership of the IdeM federation also guarantees UniTO users with SCU credentials access to associated third-party organizations’ wireless networks.
To connect to the guest-merged network, consult the support page for the instruction manuals, available for each operating system.
- Technology: captive portal based on Zeroshell, which is a Linux distribution for servers and embedded devices whose purpose is to provide the main network services
- Security level: unsecured
- Limitations: the browsing session is valid until 11.59 pm of each day. It is then necessary to repeat the authentication procedure.
- The person in charge of data processing is the Director of the Information Systems, Portal, E learning Department
- The service is intended for teaching, scientific research and user support
- The logs that trace access are kept for 6 months. Access is recorded, stored on logs with the date, time, the device from which you are browsing, the destination IP (this is a technical registration, made automatically by the system). The data is accessible to system administrators and is consulted only for specific issues regarding IT security or by specific request of public security authorities