Italian and English language proficiency test for international students
If you are a non-EU applicant not legally residing in Italy, holding a qualification issued by a non-Italian High School or University, who wish to enrol for the a.y.2020-2021 in an undergraduate degree program or a 5/6-year postgraduate degree program taught in Italian ("laurea magistrale a ciclo unico") not requiring an admission exam, you have to take an Italian language proficiency test before the enrolment at UniTO.
The Italian language proficiency test is an internet-based test scheduled on 10th September 2020. Applicants who have successfully submitted their application via Apply@UniTo and the pre-enrolment application via Universitaly within September 4th 2020 will be invited to take the test and receive further instructions by the International Students Desk.
In compliance with the Procedures for entry, residency and enrolment at higher education institutions for students requiring visas for higher education courses in Italy for the academic year 2020-2021, you are exempted from the Italian language test, but subject to the limit of the reserved places for non-EU applicants residing abroad if you hold a certificate of proficiency in the Italian language at B2 level or higher of the Council of Europe, awarded as determined by the CLIQ (Italian Quality Language Certification) quality system, which unites in one association the current certification bodies (University for Foreigners of Perugia, University for Foreigners of Siena, Roma Tre University and the Dante Alighieri Society) and University for Foreigners "Dante Alighieri" of Reggio Calabria, as well as in convention with Italian Institutes of Culture abroad or other institutions. Please be aware that you have to upload any Italian language certification on Universitaly within September 4th 2020.
These certifications may be obtained in the country of origin, in the approved exam centres found all over the world.
Furthermore, you are exempted from the Italian language test and may enrol regardless of the number of reserved places for non-EU applicants residing abroad if you hold:
- the final 4- or 5-year senior secondary school diploma awarded by Italian State or State recognised schools abroad
- one of the final leaving qualifications from a secondary School as listed in attachment 2
- one of the certificates pertaining to the Lower Secondary School final qualification obtained in Argentina, certifying the attendance of a study course which includes the teaching, for at least 5 years, of the Italian language, according to Law no. 210 of 7.6.1999
- the Diploma in Italian Language and Culture by the Universities for Foreigners of Perugia and Siena
- a certification in Italian language proficiency, C1 or C2 level of the Council of Europe, awarded as determined by the CLIQ (Italian Quality Language Certification) quality system, which unites in one association the current certification bodies (Universities for Foreigners of Perugia and Siena, Roma Tre University and the Dante Alighieri Society), as well as those issued by the University for Foreigners “Dante Alighieri” of Reggio Calabria, also in convention with Italian Institutes of Culture abroad or other accredited institutions.
If you wish to enrol in an undergraduate degree program or a 5/6-year postgraduate degree program (“laurea magistrale a ciclo unico”) taught in English, your English proficiency is assessed by the admission exam, if required.
If you wish to enrol in the undergraduate degree program in Global Law and Transnational Legal Studies, an English proficiency at level B2 is required and has to be certified by an official certification. Check the list of accepted certifications on the dedicated page.
If you do not hold any English language certification you have to take an assessment test. Detailed information is available on the degree program website.