How to apply for PhD programmes
UniTO selects prospective PhD students through annual open competitions made of entrance examinations.
Applications for PhD positions are open to students of all age and nationality who obtained a second level degree (Master’s Degree level) which gives access to PhD programme.
If at time of application you have not yet completed your second level degree, your application will be accepted only if you achieve your Master’s degree by the following 31st October (please check the Call for admission for further details).
Information on admission requirements, evaluation procedure and number of positions with or without scholarships are outlined in the “call for applications” (bando di concorso) and in the “programme info sheet” you are interested in. Please, read them carefully.
The call is generally issued in Spring. The notice of the call is published on the PhD Programmes web page.
You can exclusively submit your application to PhD Programmes in reply to a Call for applications (see Submitting your application). Applications submitted in any different way will be not taken into account.
If you are holding a foreign degree, you must submit durig the application the documentation listed below:
- official certificates and transcripts of Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree with official translation into Italian, Engish or French and one of the following documents:
- one of the following documents:
- Diploma supplement(s) issued by the University where you have graduated
- "Dichiarazione di valore in loco" (Declaration of value or statement of validity) issued by your local Italian embassy/consulate, only in case your University cannot issue the Diploma supplement
If you already hold an official document issued by an Italian University stating that your foreign degree is equivalent to an Italian second level degree, you must submit both the original qualification and the official Italian declaration of eligibility with your application. General information on full recognition of your foreign degree(s) in Italy is available on Cimea website.
After the closure of call for PhD applications, international qualifications will be assessed by the Examining Board during the selection and evaluation procedure and will be declared “equivalent” or “not equivalent” to an Italian Master Degree (or second level degree).
The recognition of equivalence of international qualification is valid only for admission into the PhD programme entrance examination which you are applying for. Obtaining the recognition does not mean passing the selection.
Before your application can be assessed for admission, your international qualifications must be declared equivalent to an Italian degree. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, your application will be evaluated for the admission to a PhD programme.
The recognition of equivalence of your qualification is valid only for admission into the PhD programme entrance examination. Obtaining the recognition does not mean passing the selection.
Results of this assessment will be published as soon as they become available and they are as follows:
- equivalent: your qualifications are considered equivalent to Italian degrees, which give access to Doctoral research programmes. Your application will be then assessed by the Examination board for admission to the PhD course
- not equivalent: your qualifications are not considered equivalent to Italian degrees, which give access to Doctoral research programmes. Your application stops here.